Support the Site:

Pantiger

When the Allied forces first encountered the Tiger II in Normandy in the summer of 1944, the panzer was briefly referred to as the “Pantiger”. The Associated Press picked up the name “Pantiger” in their article on August 19th:

Germans have thrown a huge new, heavily armored tank into action on both the Russian and northern French fronts in an effort to stem the Allied advances, but first reports denied it was a “super weapon.”

One of the new monsters weighing over 65 tons and with six inch armor plate—an inch and a half thicker than anything the enemy yet has put into action—was taken by the British on the Orne river front. The tank was a victim of a mechanical breakdown and never had fired a shot in battle.

Christened the “Pantiger” by its captors, the tank combines the best features of the Nazi Tiger and Panther tanks, which weigh 45 tons each. It is 23 feet long and over 11 feet wide, has an extra wheel on each side of its tracks and a huge, clumsy looking turret.

The name “Pantiger” was still being used as late as the publication of Tactical and Technical Trends, October 1944.

PANTIGER, A REDESIGNED TIGER, NEWEST ENEMY HEAVY TANK

A new 67-ton German heavy tank—referred to variously as Pantiger and Tiger II—has been employed against the Allies this summer in France. Actually a redesigned Tiger (Pz. Kpfw. VI), it mounts the 8.8-cm Kw. K. 43 gun. On the basis of a preliminary report, the general appearance of the new tank is that of a scaled-up Pz. Kpfw. V (Panther) on the wide Tiger tracks. It conforms to normal German tank practice insofar as the design, lay-out, welding, and interlocking of the main plates are concerned. All sides are sloping. The gun is larger than the Panther gun, and longer than the ordinary Tiger gun. Armor is also thicker than that on either the Panther or the Tiger. The turret is of new design, with bent side plates. In all respects the new tank is larger than the standard Tiger.

Pantiger

 

Captured sPzAbt. 506 Tiger II at Gereonsweiler

Video of captured Tiger II of sPzAbt. 506 at Gereonsweiler, Germany in 1945:


Transcript: At Gereonsweiler, a knocked out King Tiger tank is put back into working order. With the help of a wrecker, the turret is forced into line by men of Company B, 129th Ordnance Maintenance Battalion, 7th Armored Division. The King Tiger tank weighs approximately 72 tons. It has 34 inch wide treads which spread the great weight over a large area. Top speed: 20 mph. Armor: up to 6 inches thick. It mounts the vaunted 88mm gun whose barrel is more than 21 feet long. The rebuilt tank will be used to familiarize our troops with the enemy weapon.
 

Tank Destroyer vs. King Tiger

Two photographs of Tiger IIs destroyed by the 823rd Tank Destroyer Battalion from “The Employment of Four Tank Destroyer Battalions in the ETO,” The Armored School, Fort Knox, Kentucky, May 1950.

Destroyed Tiger II --  Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger Ausf. B Königstiger

Tank knocked out by 823rd TD Battalion (equipped with 3-inch towed guns) shows ineffectiveness of hits on front glacis plate of Tiger II. At a range of 500 yards, frontal hits merely gouged out armor and ricocheted off. A track hit only partially severed the track, which did break completely as the tank attempted to back up.

Knocked-out King Tiger (Panzer VI, Tiger II Destroyed, 1944)

Two rounds in same hole on side of tank knocked out by 1st Platoon, Company A, 823rd TD Battalion.

At least one of these Tiger II is from schwere Panzer Abteilung 506 (sPzAbt. 506) and was lost near Freialdenhoven, Germany.