The WWII U.S. Navy manual FM 30-50: Recognition Pictorial Manual of Naval Vessels contained the following U.S. ship silhouettes showing the relative size of the various classes of aircraft carriers, battleships, cruisers, and destroyers.
From top to bottom, ships shown are
- Battleships-BB: Iowa; South Dakota Class; Nevada; North Carolina Class; Pennsylvania; Tennessee; Colorado Class; New Mexico Class; New York Class; Arkansas
- Heavy Cruisers-CA: Northampton Class; New Orleans Class; Portland Class; Pensacola Class; Wichita; Baltimore Class
- Light Cruisers-CL: Atlanta Class; Omaha Class; St. Louis; Brooklyn Class; Cleveland Class
- Aircraft Carriers-CV-CVL-CVE: Saratoga-CA; Essex Class-CV; Enterprise-CV; Ranger-CV; Independence Class-CVL; Bogue, Sangamon, Prince William Classes-CVE; Long Island-CVE; Casablanca-CVE; Charger-CVE
- Destroyers-DD: Mahan-Dunlap Classes; Gridley-Bagley Classes; Benham-Sims Classes; Benson-Livermore Classes; Fletcher Class; Porter Class; Somers Class; Farragut Class; Fletcher (Catapult) Class; Flush Deck Type; DE-1; DE-51
Source: FM 30-50: Recognition Pictorial Manual of Naval Vessels, U.S. Navy Department, September 1943.