- Maj. Gen. Henry D. Russell
- September 1940 - April 1942. (Some sources list end date as August 1941.) Gen. Russell
was initial commander of the 30th on its formation and during training. He later commanded
the 48th Infantry Division.
- Maj. Gen. William H. Simpson
- May 1942 - July 1942. (Some sources list end date as August 1942.) Gen. Simpson
was formerly commander of 35th
Infantry Division. Gen. Simpson's later assignments included XII Corps and
Ninth Army in the ETO. Gen. Simpson died in 1980, and is buried in Arlington
- Maj. Gen. Leland S. Hobbs
- September 1942 - September 1945. Gen. Hobbs commanded
the 30th throughout its combat period in Europe. He later commanded the IX Corps
in Japan. Gen. Hobbs retired from the army in 1953. He died in
1966 and is buried at Arlington National Cemetery.
- Maj. Gen. Albert C. Cowper
- September 1945 - Inactivation.
1. The Army Almanac: A Book of Facts Concerning the Army of the
United States, U.S. Government Printing Office, 1950.
2. Order of Battle of the United States Army, World War II, European
Theater of Operations, Office of the Theater Historian,
Paris, France, December 1945.
3. Eisenhower Library.
• 30th Infantry Division History
• 30th Infantry Division Links
• 30th Infantry Division Components
• 30th Infantry Division Medal of Honor Recipients