- Maj. Gen. Alvan C. Gillem
- April 1941 - January 1942.
After leaving the 3rd, Gen. Gillem commanded the II Armored Corps, the Armored Command at
Fort Knox, and the XIII Corps.
- Maj. Gen. Walton H. Walker (1889-1950)
- January 1942 - August 1942.
Gen. Walker later commanded IV Armored Corps, redesignated XX Corps, in WWII. He commanded
Eighth Army during the Korean War. Gen. Walker is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.
- Maj. Gen. Leroy H. Watson
- August 1942 - August 1944.
- Maj. Gen. Maurice Rose (1899-1945)
- August 1944 - March 1945. Gen. Rose had previously served with
1st Armored Division
2nd Armored Division.
Gen. Rose was killed near Paderborn in 1945.
- Brig. Gen. Doyle O. Hickey
- March 1945 - June 1945. Gen. Hickey formerly commanded
CC A of the division. During the Korean War,
Gen. Hickey served as Chief of Staff for the Far East Command. He
retired in 1953.
- Brig. Gen. Truman E. Boudinot (1895-1945)
- June 1945 - July 1945. [See details under
7th Armored Division.]
- Brig. Gen. Frank A. Allen, Jr.
- July 1945.
- Maj. Gen. Robert W. Grow
- July 1945 - Inactivation. [See details under
6th Armored Division.]
1. The Army Almanac: A Book of Facts Concerning the Army of the
United States, U.S. Government Printing Office, 1950.
2. Order of Battle of the United States Army, World War II, European
Theater of Operations, Office of the Theater Historian,
Paris, France, December 1945.
• 3rd Armored Division History
• 3rd Armored Division Links
• 3rd Armored Division Components
• 3rd Armored Division Medal of Honor Recipients