- Maj. Gen. Bruce R. Magruder
- July 1940 - March 1942. Gen. Magruder served as first commander of
the 1st Armored Division on its activation at Fort Knox.
- Maj. Gen. Orlando Ward (1891-1972)
- March 1942 - April 1943. Gen. Ward was relieved from command in North Africa.
He later returned to Europe to command the
20th Armored Division.
After WWII, Gen. Ward also commanded the 6th Infantry Division.
- Maj. Gen. Ernest N. Harmon
- April 1943 - July 1944. Gen. Harmon also commanded the
2nd Armored Division and
XXI Corps. He retired in 1948 and died in 1974.
- Maj. Gen. Vernon E. Prichard
- July 1944 - September 1945. [See details under
14th Armored Division.]
- Maj. Gen. Roderick R. Allen
- September 1945 - January 1946. [See details under
20th Armored Division.]
- Maj. Gen. Hobart R. Gay
- February 1946 - Inactivation. Gen. Gay had formerly served with the
Seventh Army, Third Army, and Fifteenth Army. He would later command
the VI Corps, III Corps and Fifth Army. Gen. Gay retired in 1955.
1. The Army Almanac: A Book of Facts Concerning the Army of the
United States, U.S. Government Printing Office, 1950.
2. Order of Battle of the United States Army, World War II, European
Theater of Operations, Office of the Theater Historian,
Paris, France, December 1945.
• 1st Armored Division History
• 1st Armored Division Links
• 1st Armored Division Components
• 1st Armored Division Medal of Honor Recipients