- Maj. Gen. Alexander E. Anderson (1889-1942)
- December 1942. Gen. Anderson was commander of the 86th Infantry Division when
activated. He died shortly afterwards in December 1942.
- Maj. Gen. Harris M. McLasky
- January 1943-December 1945. Gen. McLasky commanded the division throughout its
training and combat.
- Maj. Gen. Paul J. Mueller
- January 1946 - April 1946. Gen. Mueller had formerly commanded the
81st Infantry Division.
- Maj. Gen. Harry F. Hazlett
- June 1946 - Inactivation.
1. The Army Almanac: A Book of Facts Concerning the Army of the
United States, U.S. Government Printing Office, 1950.
2. Order of Battle of the United States Army, World War II, European
Theater of Operations, Office of the Theater Historian,
Paris, France, December 1945.
• 86th Infantry Division History
• 86th Infantry Division Links
• 86th Infantry Division Components
• 86th Infantry Division Medal of Honor Recipients