- Maj. Gen. John H. Hildring
- October 1942 - February 1943.
- Maj. Gen. Stonewall Jackson
- February 1943 - October 1943. Gen. Jackson had previously served as
assistant division commander of the
88th Infantry Division.
- Maj. Gen. Robert B. McClure
- October 1943 - March 1944. Gen. McClure later commanded the
Americal Infantry Division.
- Maj. Gen. Roscoe B. Woodruff
- March 1944 - June 1944. Prior to commanding the 84th, Gen. Woodruff had also commanded the
77th Infantry Division and VII Corps. Later, Gen. Woodruff would command the 24th Infantry
Division in the Pacific. During the occupation of Japan, Gen. Woodruff commanded the I Corps.
- Maj. Gen. Alexander R. Bolling (1895-1964)
- June 1944 - Inactivation. Gen. Bolling earned the Distinguished Service Cross
in WWI with the 3rd Infantry Division.
After WWII, Gen. Bolling commanded the Third Army. He died in 1964.
1. The Army Almanac: A Book of Facts Concerning the Army of the
, U.S. Government Printing Office, 1950.
2. Order of Battle of the United States Army, World War II, European
Theater of Operations
, Office of the Theater Historian,
Paris, France, December 1945.
3. Railsplitters: The Story of the 84th Infantry Division
• 84th Infantry Division History
• 84th Infantry Division Links
• 84th Infantry Division Components
• 84th Infantry Division Medal of Honor Recipients