- Maj. Gen. Clifford R. Powell
- September 1940 - August 1941.
- Maj. Gen. James I. Muir
- August 1941 - August 1944. Gen. Muir was formerly commander of the
26th Regiment. He was later promoted to command of XXIII Corps.
Gen. Muir retired in 1945 and died in 1964.
- Maj. Gen. Robert L. Spragins
- August 1944 - December 1944. [See details under
71st Infantry Division.]
- Maj. Gen. William F. Dean (1899-1981)
- January 1945 - September 1945. Gen. Dean formerly served as
Assistant Division Commander of the 44th Infantry Division. In Korea, Gen. Dean commanded the
7th Infantry Division and the 24th Infantry Division. Gen. Dean
won the Medal of Honor for actions in Korea. He died in 1981 and is buried
at the Presidio in San Francisco.
- Brig. Gen. William A. Beiderlinden (1895-1981)
- November 1945. Gen. Beiderlinden was formerly commander of
the 44th Division Artillery. After WWII, Gen. Beiderlinden served in a variety of
roles including commander of Third Army. He retired in 1955.
- Brig. Gen. Robert L. Dulaney
- November 1945 - Inactivation. Gen. Dulaney had formerly served as
assistant division commander.
1. The Army Almanac: A Book of Facts Concerning the Army of the
United States, U.S. Government Printing Office, 1950.
2. Order of Battle of the United States Army, World War II, European
Theater of Operations, Office of the Theater Historian,
Paris, France, December 1945.
3. California Military Museum.
• 44th Infantry Division History
• 44th Infantry Division Links
• 44th Infantry Division Components
• 44th Infantry Division Medal of Honor Recipients