- Maj. Gen. Ellard A. Walsh
- February 1941 - August 1941. Gen. Walsh left
command for medical reasons.
- Maj. Gen. Russell P. Hartle
- August 1941 - May 1942. Gen. Hartle was commander during the Louisiana
Maneuvers. Gen. Hartle also temporarily served as commander of United States
Army Northern Ireland Force. Gen. Hartle later commanded the V Corps. He
died in 1961.
- Maj. Gen. Charles W. Ryder
- May 1942 - July 1944. Gen. Ryder was formerly Chief of Staff, VI Corps. He
later commanded IX Corps, including service in the occupation of Japan.
Gen. Ryder retired in 1950 and died in 1960.
- Maj. Gen. Charles L. Bolte
- July 1944 - Inactivation. [See details under
69th Infantry Division.]
1. The Army Almanac: A Book of Facts Concerning the Army of the
United States, U.S. Government Printing Office, 1950.
2. Order of Battle of the United States Army, World War II, European
Theater of Operations, Office of the Theater Historian,
Paris, France, December 1945.
3. Eisenhower Library.
• 34th Infantry Division History
• 34th Infantry Division Links
• 34th Infantry Division Components
• 34th Infantry Division Medal of Honor Recipients