- Maj. Gen. Milton A. Reckord
- February 1941 - January 1942. Gen. Reckord later commanded III Corps Area and
served as the Provost Marshal of the European Theater. After WW II, Gen. Reckord
served as the Adjutant General of Maryland. He died in 1975.
- Maj. Gen. Leonard T. Gerow
- February 1942 - July 1943. Gen. Gerow later commanded V Corps and Fifteenth Army
in the ETO. After WWII, Gen. Gerow served as commandant of the Army's Command and
General Staff School and as commander of Second Army. He retired in 1950.
- Maj. Gen. Charles H. Gerhardt
- July 1943 - Inactivation. Gen. Gerhardt was formerly commander of
91st Infantry Division.
He commanded the 29th through preparation for invasion, D-Day, Normandy battles, breakout,
and on until the end of the war. Gen. Gerhardt died in 1976 and is buried at Arlington
1. The Army Almanac: A Book of Facts Concerning the Army of the
, U.S. Government Printing Office, 1950.
2. Order of Battle of the United States Army, World War II, European
Theater of Operations
, Office of the Theater Historian,
Paris, France, December 1945.
3. Virginia Military Institute Archives.
5. Let's Go: The Story of the 29th Infantry Division
• 29th Infantry Division History
• 29th Infantry Division Links
• 29th Infantry Division Components
• 29th Infantry Division Medal of Honor Recipients