- Maj. Gen. Omar N. Bradley (1893-1981)
- March 1942 - June 1942. [See details under
28th Infantry Division.]
- Maj. Gen. Matthew B. Ridgway (1895-1993)
- June 1942 - August 1944. Gen. Ridgway left the 82nd to assume command of the new
XVIII Airborne Corps. After WWII, Gen. Ridgway served in numerous roles including
commander of Eighth Army in Korea, Supreme Allied Commander Europe (NATO), and
Chief of Staff of the United States Army. He is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.
- Maj. Gen. James M. Gavin (1907-1990)
- August 1944 - March 1948. Gen. Gavin formerly served as assistant division commander. When promoted
to command of the 82nd, Gen. Gavin was the youngest general to command a division since
the Civil War. After leaving the 82nd, Gen. Gavin later commanded the VI Corps.
1. The Army Almanac: A Book of Facts Concerning the Army of the
United States, U.S. Government Printing Office, 1950.
2. Order of Battle of the United States Army, World War II, European
Theater of Operations, Office of the Theater Historian,
Paris, France, December 1945.
• 82nd Airborne Division History
• 82nd Airborne Division Links
• 82nd Airborne Division Components
• 82nd Airborne Division Medal of Honor Recipients