Air Marshal Balbo strongly backed the idea of parachute training. According to
German sources, the Italians first used large parachute infantry units in their
maneuvers at Gefara, Libya, in 1937. The main Italian training center at that
time was Castel Benito airdrome near Tripoli. The training of native troops in
Libya did not prove very worthwhile. A training center, at all events, was
opened in metropolitan Italy at Tarquinia. Units for the latter school
were raised from Italian volunteers.